Szeged is situated near the southern border of Hungary. Inhabited since ancient times, Szeged rose to prominence in the 14th century but was occupied by the Turks from 1543 to 1686.
Today the inner city of Szeged has beautiful buildings and wide avenues. This is mainly due to the great flood of 1879, which literally wiped away the whole town. Emperor Franz Joseph visited the town and promised that "Szeged will be more beautiful than it used to be". He kept his promise. During the next years a new, modern city emerged from the ruins, with palaces and wide streets.
THE CITY OF SUNSHINE