THE CITY OF SUNSHINE
Szeged is situated near the southern border of Hungary. Inhabited since ancient times, Szeged rose to prominence in the 14th century but was occupied by the Turks from 1543 to 1686. Today the inner city of Szeged has beautiful buildings and wide avenues. This is mainly due to the great flood of 1879, which literally wiped away the whole town. Emperor Franz Joseph visited the town and promised that "Szeged will be more beautiful than it used to be". He kept his promise. During the next years a new, modern city emerged from the ruins, with palaces and wide streets.
For more information about the city, visit:
A bust of famous Hungarian composer Franz Liszt, pianist and composer, on Dom Ter (Dom Square). Liszt, who spent many years studying in Szeged, was possibly the greatest piano virtuoso of all time.
The Votive Church of Szeged
The Szeged Conservatory was founded in 1880 as the 'Liszt Ferenc Musical College' and became the Faculty of Music of the newly-formed University of Szeged. Around the same time the Juhász Gyula Teacher Training college was integrated into the University of Szeged, becoming its Faculty of Education. The music faculty holds a small collection of classical and traditional instruments. In addition to its professional programs the conservatory offers preparatory music performance courses for students at secondary level.